Every thought we think is creating our future.
Sometimes it is very hard to look on the bright side of things, even when things are going fairly well. When you are going through tough times, and everyone does, gaining the “glass is half full” mentality can be a difficult feat to accomplish!
Don’t over-think yourself into overwhelm
When you are standing in the middle of a stressful situation, it is important to move away from over-anxious thoughts and over-analyzing the situation. You really don’t want to overwhelm yourself by over-stimulating your mind> This will only bring additional stress that will strain your mind further, making it nearly impossible to think clearly or positively.
Finding the bright side
How you manage to transform difficult situations into positive outcomes will be different for every situation. Your goal needs to be discovering a set of strategies that will work well for you. It will take some experimenting, but that’s perfectly okay!
1. Stop the pity party. Avoid feeling sorry for yourself. Feeling sorry for yourself only wastes precious brainpower and it is not going to ultimately help you out in the long run. Instead, work on gaining the wisdom to accept your situation as it is, and focus on concrete solutions, instead of sorrow or worry. Everyone has to work through some tough times at some point in life. It is a normal part of living.
2. Look for the life lesson. It may be hard to find that silver lining, but it is almost always hiding somewhere. All of your experiences, good and bad, contribute to your life’s knowledge. Be grateful for what you know!
In the midst of your storm, spot and reflect on the fact that you have gained gained wisdom and knowledge that may help you make better decisions and cope well in the future.
3. Start small. Take some time to reflect on the difficult situation. If you are still having trouble finding a positive manner of thinking, just start by smiling at yourself in the mirror. Yeah, I know, it sounds weird, but it really does make a difference. You may not feel happy right away, but it sure will be hard not to feel happy when you see your own beautiful smiling face beaming back at you!
You can also consider using some of positive affirmations to help you get through tough times. The more frequently you repeat your affirmations, the sooner you will ingrain the positive beliefs into your subconscious mind. I not only say positive affirmations, I have several posted in my office at work, as well as at home.
4. Ditch the worrying. When you are going through a negative or tough situation, sometimes your worries will overtake you. The future may seem scary and bleak and you may not be sure about what to do next. And you already know that worrying, by itself, isn’t going to get you any closer to a solution. Instead, as you begin to feel the worry creep in, redirect your mind onto something positive or reassuring.
Breathe, remain calm and start brainstorming for some practical solutions to your situation.
5. Embrace change. Change is inevitable and most often we don’t even notice that it’s happening. During the hard times, however, you are very likely to be more sensitive to the changes that are taking place.
The best way to get through change, is to change the way you think about it. Instead of feeling like someone else is dragging you through it, think about change as a new and exciting adventure. You never know what you will discover or learn if you remain closed-minded or resistant to change.
6. Get some help from others
When you are going through some tough times, your instincts will usually tell you to pull away, go inward. Maybe it is because you don’t want people to see you in such a vulnerable state, or you feel that you want to solve your problems all on your own. But, you must resist the urge to shut people out. Remember that you are never alone. Your family and loved ones are always there to help you get through any challenging situation. But this can only happen if you allow them to!
Of course, your loved ones may not be able to solve your problem outright, but they can provide you with a fantastic support system and help you look for some different avenues for problem solving.
As tough, hard and negative as things may seem right now, it is indeed possible for you to think positively to help get through. Use these simple positive thinking strategies to help you alter your mindset quicker than you ever thought possible!