Thanks to modern research Scientists are developing an increasingly clear picture of things that people can do to ensure that their brains keep working in top form.
Consider using some of these strategies to ensure your mind is working efficiently as possible. Incorporate as many of these methods as you can into your everyday life to keep your thinking razor sharp.
1. Exercise consistently. Engage in regular exercise. Scientific evidence continues to assert that performing regular aerobic activity, at least thirty minutes a day, is one of the best ways to keep your mind in good shape. You’re never too young or too old to get started. When you exercise, you propagate healthy cells throughout your body.
2. Eat correctly. When you eat small amounts spread out over the day, your system can better handle the food, resulting in healthier organs, including your brain. Recommended foods are those that are moderate in protein and fat and high in fiber. Build your day around practical eating habits that will ensure that your mind stays sharp.
3. Whole foods when possible. Choose whole foods. Get as many of your vitamins and minerals as possible from food products rather than supplements and vitamins. Mind and body responds better to the “real thing.” Supplements do not provide everything that the body needs. If possible, try to get most of your vitamins the old fashioned way by eating healthy food.
4. Watch your habits. Avoid preventable diseases. Genetics certainly play a role, but if you can steer clear of diabetes, hypertension and excessive weight gain, your mind will thank you later. Researchers now believe that those illnesses which attack your body are also detrimental to your mental acuity.
5. Sleep well. Although the link is not clear, it is known that chronic sleep issues are related to cognitive decline. Therefore, if you want to stay sharp, get a consistent six to eight hours per night. You can’t really catch up on loss sleep in ways that matter to your brain. You need to make it a goal each evening to get in bed, turn out the light and go to sleep in plenty of time to get those golden hours.
6. Manage your stress. Feeling more relaxed and stress free is believed to help your memory and keep your brain functioning better. Take whatever steps necessary to banish your stress. Practicing regular exercise, engaging in fulfilling activities during your time off and enjoying love in your life, keeps your stress level down.
7. Keep learning. Although the jury is still out on whether or not doing crosswords, word games or math challenges keeps your mind fit. It is clear that education ensures a strong healthy mind. Learn something new each day. For instance, this year take that small business class. Next year, join a local birding group to learn all about the local birds. If you want to have a quick mind never stop learning.
All of these ideas are pragmatic things that you can do to keep your brain in great shape. And most of them can be implemented right away. Follow these suggestions to keep your mind razor sharp.