Confidence affects every part of our lives. Our supervisors and colleagues feel more admiration, trust, and respect for us when our confidence is high. We are also more attractive to other people when we are brimming with confidence.
And, even though you may not feel terribly confident, there are some steps you can take each day to grow your confidence.
In the course of time, feeling more confident can become a habit for you. Greater confidence is one habit that you’ll never want to break!
How to Make Confidence a Priority in Your Life:
1. Ensure your grooming is top notch.
- While it may have seemed cool to look like a slouch in high school or college, it doesn’t work well for advancing your career.
- You cannot feel confident if your hair is still matted to your head after a long and restless night of sleep.
- Take care of the basics each day.
- You may think that other people do not notice when you skip a few basic grooming steps, but you are sadly mistaken:
- Bathe or shower.
- Brush your hair and teeth.
- Get your unruly eyebrows under a bit of control. The same for nose hairs or ear hairs.
- Use deodorant. You may think you are getting by dousing yourself with aftershave or perfume, but people can smell the difference.
2. Dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable and confident.
- Dress appropriately for the day you have planned.
- Choose your clothes the night before.
- Wear clothing that is clean, free of wrinkles, and in good repair.
- If you require help matching your clothes, enlist the help of a more stylish friend or neighbor.
3. Have a plan in mind for the day and stick to it.
- It is much easier to be confident if you have a plan.
- Living a random existence creates a great deal of uncertainty and doubt.
- Make a list of things to do the night before and get those things accomplished!
- A successful day will grow your confidence.
- The feeling of a wasted day can result in feeling less capable than you really are.
4. Look ahead and be prepared.
- Be prepared for everything on your schedule.
- Are a few of your coworkers carpooling with you tomorrow?
- Make sure your car is clean out, gassed up, and ready to roll.
- Plan for any presentations or other work responsibilities.
- One of the most effective steps to feeling confident is to be well-prepared.
5. Speak positively to and about yourself.
- There is a continual dialog going on between your ears from the moment you wake up in the morning until you fall asleep at night.
- You even experience some of it during your dreams.
- Fortunately, it is possible to control the content of this incessant chatter.
- Positive self-talk can change your mood and your belief in yourself.
- Be kind and supportive while talking to yourself.
6. Do one thing that you are good at every day.
- Whether it’s shooting free throws in the driveway, playing PVZ, or playing a little Mozart on the piano, spend a few minutes doing something that makes you feel like an expert.
- Success breeds confidence!
7. Step up!
- Let people know what you think and what you need.
- Assertiveness and confidence go hand in hand.
- You will have a bit more control over the outcomes in your life.
- When you can control some aspects of your life, you will naturally feel more confident.
- Other people may not comply with all of our requests, but we should nonetheless make our desires known.
8. Use confident body language.
- Stand tall and walk proudly.
- Keep your head up and staring looking at the floor.
- Act confident and you will feel more confident.
- Watch a few of your favorite movies with confident characters and notice how they stand, move, and interact with other people. Try a few ideas of these ideas in your own mannerisms.
It is possible to overcome a current lack of self-confidence.
Growing your self-confidence will result in advances in many areas of your life.
When you are more confident about yourself and about your life, you make others and yourself feel better. No one else will do this for you.
Choose today to become more confident.