I hope you realize that every day is a fresh start for you.
That every sunrise is a new chapter in your life waiting to be written.
Life is constantly in motion, full of changes. Changes often occur when we least expect them, and the change can be disruptive to our routines. This often happens when new chapters or new avenues open up to us.
It can feel all too easy to just give up when we don’t feel in control of situations. It’s easy for our confidence to slip when we are going through something new or different.
The good news is that we can choose how we want to approach novel events and remain positive.
Strategies for Approaching Something New:
1. Always keep an open mind.
- Try expecting the best outcome instead of the worst.
- Remind yourself that you have encountered more challenging situations in the past and endured.
- A new chapter in your life could be the answer to setting new goals or finally attaining old ones.
2. Be Bold!
- Fear often keeps us from going after what we want from life.
- It can result in disappointment, sadness, and feelings of humiliation.
- If we are not living the lives we want, then we need to start mustering the courage to move forward.
- Walk into a situation while repeating the words, “I can conquer this.”
- Even if you are not feeling terribly brave all the time, speak courage into your life, and begin to believe in yourself.
3. Step by Step.
- The best way to approach any situation is to break it down into its smallest components.
- The bigger picture of your new chapter may seem overwhelming.
- Take time to analyze it, you will recognize that it is easier to take smaller bites and even relish the taste of the newness of each new part.
4. Consider previous missteps.
- Understand your strengths and abilities, and think about where things have gone astray before.
- The lessons we learn along life’s journey should be the tools we take into our next chapters.
- Use these tools as much as possible to help guide you into and through the unknown.
5. Be truthful.
- If you are taking on something new and expect to be victorious, you definitely do not want to disappoint yourself or others!
- Be honest about feeling intimidated.
New chapters in life need not be terrifying. Give yourself every possibility of experiencing fulfillment.
Try these strategies for embracing the new chapters, believing in yourself, and moving as if you already know the outcome!
@Copyright 2021 Martina Green McGowan, MD
Photo by Constantin Stanciu @ Scopio