Have you ever had times when you just felt down? You know, those times when your mind is racing, or you’re just feeling generally out of sorts? Have these feelings ever disrupted your life or made you begin to wonder what was really going on with you? When you do the work to strengthen your mental health, you’ll feel better all over and your life will feel much more satisfying. The good news is that you can steps to ensure that you enjoy better mental health.
The Path to good Mental Health:
1. Live the life you want to live. Rather than sitting around and dreaming of the life you want, make the choice to make it happen. No matter how small your steps may be, make sure that each one moves in the direction of your dreams.
2. Make yourself happy. No one else can create your happiness for you. You have to do it for yourself. Create spaces you love within your home. Keep the windows sparkling clean and let the sunlight in if that’s what you you like. Take long walks or practice yoga to bring a sense of peace and serenity into your life. Spend time reading about the places you want to travel someday.
3. Avoid involvement with people who constantly bring (or put) you down. Many of us have friends or family members who dampen our spirits when we are happy or excited about something. Recognize that while you probably can’t change that person, you can change the amount of time you spend with them and how you relate to them.
Although you feel compassion and understanding toward those who might bring you down, it’s important to ensure that you do not let them interfere with your own mental health and well being.
4. Look for the good in your work or job. Pride, enjoyment and fulfillment are keys to enjoying your life. Most of us spend a lot of our time at our jobs, so it is critical that you learn to cultivate those experiences there.
It doesn’t really matter what your job is. If your job is polishing floors, make them the best looking floors you have ever seen. If you type for a living, ensure that you make as few errors as possible and the finished product looks beautiful. Enjoying some aspect of your work might include telling a joke to a co-worker at an appropriate time or getting excited about a new project that you will be getting involved in.
When your work fulfills you, at the end of the day, you will feel great about doing your job exceptionally well. These positive emotions help ensure your mental health.
5. Get plenty of sleep and eat right. When your body is well nourished, your mind and spirit tend to be healthy as well. You will be in a better mood and have the energy needed to accomplish more.
6. Surround yourself with people you love. Stick to the people you’re comfortable with and who show their love and respect for you. A strong emotionally supportive network is your most important safety net when times get tough. You’ll be able to call on friends or family when you need a listening ear or shoulder to lean on.
7. Cultivate hobbies and activities that bring you joy. No matter what your chosen past times are, find time in your busy schedule to do things that bring you comfort, happiness and contentment.
Regardless of your age, where you live or what you do for a living or what you do for fun, good mental health is integral to your well being. Use these ideas as starting points and come up with ways to ensure your life is happy, fulfilling and bountiful.