Burnout is nature’s way of telling you,
you’ve been going through the motions
your soul has departed;
you’re a zombie,
a member of the walking dead,
False optimism is like administrating stimulants
to an exhausted nervous system.
Have you been feeling like you may be suffering from burnout? Whether it has been caused by work issues, stress at home, relationship challenges, or a combination of all them, it can give you a frightening feeling of hopelessness! Burnout often causes feelings of numbness and a sense of lost-ness in not knowing how to get your life headed back in the right direction. But, hope is not lost! There are a few strategies you can utilize to help you relieve some of the symptoms that come with the feeling of being burned out.
1. Don’t place all of the blame on yourself. Life is hectic and stressful. It is full of intense demands placed on your shoulders every day. If you are feeling burnt out, rather than blaming yourself, choose to be proactive in getting back in the proverbial saddle so that you can feel like yourself again.
Always remember, that you are the one in control of your destiny. Focus on what you can do, and less on what you think you should do.
2. Lighten up! Stop being so serious all the time. With the stress and responsibilities that you carry around on a daily basis, you may be in need of some plain old silliness. Make time to release some of your inhibitions and have some fun!
Whether it is dancing in your living room or swinging on the swings at a local park, take some time to connect with your inner child again. This will help you let go of your current stress level, and that is important, even if it is just for a little while.
Making time to have some fun will give you a chance to refocus your mind and energies and get your life and priorities back to where you feel they need to be.
3. Watch your health. It is important to stay in peak physical condition when you are constantly under stress. Eat several servings of fruits and vegetables, drink large amounts of water, and of course, get some exercise.
Be sure to fit exercise into your busy schedule by making an appointment with yourself to do it, and then keep your appointment! It doesn’t have to be two hours at the gym. Start with small time increments and a simple do-able exercise, like going outside for a ten minute walking break. Then build up.
4. Stop the time leaks. Look at ways that you can improve your time management skills. You may be burnt out because you are trying to fit a week’s worth of stuff into a single day. Unfortunately, that is not possible! Learning how to budget the time in your day more effectively will relieve a lot of the time-related pressure and stress.
Better time management will lessen the feeling of being overwhelmed, as well as enable you to have the time you need to do the things you want to do.
5. Rest. Get enough sleep. This will allow your body time to rest, rejuvenate, and start the upcoming day with more energy. You can also deal with stressful situations better when you are fully alert and focused. When you get enough rest, you will find yourself more focused, levelheaded, and patient.
No matter how you may try to dress it up, modern life is not simple or easy. So there is little wonder that sometimes you will feel like you just cannot juggle everything any more! And, although these feelings are completely normal from time to time, left unchecked, they can get out of control. Before you reach that point, it is important to get your life headed back in the right direction, the direction of your choosing. These burnout tips will help you better handle every-day stresses so that you can enjoy all the amazing gifts life has to offer you!