If you’re giving life the best that you got, you are already putting in the energy required to live your life the way you choose. Feeling good about yourself is integral to living your best life. However there will be times when you aren’t quite sure what to do next. How do you proceed then?
If you are ever uncertain about how to approach a project or challenge, think about the people who have been your role models and mentors. If you don’t have any that come to mind easily, perhaps it is time to get one or two.
It is important to have at least one role model. Many people have more than one, depending upon which elements of their lives they’re working on at a particular time. For example, if you love to write poetry, Maya Angelou would be an excellent role model. If you love to work out and stay in shape, perhaps Chuck Norris is the person you want to look up to for your physical fitness.
Whatever your passion, having a role model will compel you to work harder as you take steps to emulate them in pursuit of your own specific goal. Having a role model can also be valuable to you in other ways.
1. Create your own success. While it is good to follow the example of someone who has achieved what they wanted, it may lead you to a different kind of success than they have achieved. However, their modeling will still help you make good decisions and go in a direction that will benefit you the most.
2. Get inspired. If you have ever been truly inspired, you understand the impact this can have on your life, as well as your emotional well-being. It fills you with energy and clarity. When you meet or know about a person whose at the top of their game, and if you are inspired by them, you will work your hardest to achieve your own objectives.
3. Getting through the tough times. When you have a role model to study, observe and learn from, you can gain a different perspective on your own life. No matter what type of storms you weather, you can call upon the inspiration you get from your role model to help you make it through almost any challenge.
Don’t worry, direct contact with your role model isn’t required. All you need do is study them, reflect on them and what they have done to be successful. When you think about them, your spirits will be lifted and you’ll feel inspired to do whatever it is that makes you feel joyful and content.
4. Learn about and study someone who has achieved some of the things you’re passionate about. Your role model provides you with a great subject to explore and learn from.
Types of questions you want to explore are:
- How and where did they grow up?
- How did they get interested in the skill or talent they excel in?
- How long have they been engaged in the activity?
- Do they share any hints or tips about how to be good or excel at the particular activity that you’re interested in?
5. Improve your own performance. The more you try to be like your role model, the better you’ll do at your chosen hobby or activity. Having a role model to look up to will enrich your life and help you develop yourself. Seek out and establish at least one good role model to emulate. Your life will be more manageable and satisfying for having done so.
And, who knows? Someday you will find that you are someone else’s role model as well!