The ability to focus is different for each of us. However, everyone can learn to focus more effectively. We can accomplish more in less time if we enhance our ability to focus. A state of focus can also be very relaxing. With only one thing on our minds, our brains are less busy.
The world is a very different place for a mind that is focused. It is very difficult for a mind that is highly distractible to accomplish anything.
Developing greater focus:
1. Building your motivation.
- Before beginning any task that requires focus and attention, ask yourself why you are doing it.
- What is it that you hope to accomplish?
- What are the benefits you will receive from completing the task?
- What will happen if you do not get it done?
- Focus is easier to accomplish if you’re highly motivated.
2. Get rid of the distractions.
- Close the door.
- Clear your desktop- physical and virtual.
- Turn off your cellphone.
- Let others know that you prefer not to be disturbed.
3. Stop multitasking
- Work on one thing at a time.
- Research tells us that it is a mistake to move back and forth between several tasks.
- It takes time for our brains to readjust.
- It takes time for us to get back into the flow of things.
- Productivity rises when you stick to one task, complete it, and then move on.
- Chose to live a life of focus.
- While watching your children’s soccer game, attempt to keep your attention and thoughts on the game.
- Are you able to keep your eyes and thoughts on the road while driving?
- Eat dinner without thinking about anything besides your food and the other people at the table.
5. Take breaks.
- Breaks may often seem like a waste of time, but you will get more done over the course of a day by taking breaks.
- No one can maintain a state of high focus throughout a full day of work.
- Take short breaks and give your brain a quick rest.
- You will find that you can spend more total time focused with breaks than without.
6. Skip the non-essential.
- Having too many things in your life is distracting.
- Drop the television shows that you do not still love.
- Quit the Elks Club if it is no longer worth the time.
- Every single part of your life is taking up space in your head.
- Free up some space in your life and your brain.
- It is much easier to stay focused on the things that really matter to you.
7. Set aside time for meditation and prayer each day.
- Prayer is about speaking to your creator.
- Meditation is all about learning how to control and focus your attention.
- Daily practice is important.
8. Eat well and sleep better.
- If we are feeling exhausted, we cannot focus.
- If our bodies are running on empty, you cannot focus.
- Take care of your body, so it can support your efforts to focus.
- Caffeine, in the proper dosing, can help with concentration. Too much caffeine can make focus almost impossible.
9. Make a schedule.
- It is much easier to focus if you know the starting point and the ending point.
- Focus is difficult to maintain if you do not know exactly what to do or when the task will be finished.