We each worry about things like managing our finances and improving our landscaping, but how often do you make the time to turn your attention to improving yourself? We talk about it every week here, but how often do you stop and actually try some of the suggestions?
Do you feel that you are as knowledgeable, capable, and healthy as you can be? The time we spend on self-development is never wasted time. Since time is a limited quantity, it is essential that we spend the time we have at our disposal wisely.
Enhance yourself and live a life you love
1. Pick up a new hobby.
- Try something outside of your normal scope of activities.
- Join a ping-pong league.
- Learn how to paint with water colors.
- Stretch yourself beyond your current boundaries.
- A few years ago, I decided to try pottery. I was amazed at how relaxing working with the clay can be, even if the vessel does not turn out to be perfectly formed. It is a way to focus my mind and hands, and give strength to my creative spark.
- Try a hobby you have only fantasized about. You may find something even more important… yourself..
2. Become part of your community.
- Think about volunteering a few hours of your time each week, or even once a month.
- You will help others, feel good about yourself, and meet some new friends.
3. Get your rest.
- Science has shown that most of us perform better after seven hours of sleep than we do on less.
- Create evening routines that contribute to sound sleep and get to bed at a reasonable time each night.
4. Face one of your fears.
- It does not really matter whether it is a fear of clowns, spiders, public speaking, or heights.
- Get a book on phobias and try to help yourself.
- Get some professional help if necessary.
- Conquering a single fear can bring you renewed confidence that will help you overcome many other challenges in life.
5. Read something new each day.
- Reading is convenient, useful, and economical.
- There is very little in life that cannot be learned from reading.
- Schedule your reading time and develop a reading list.
- Of paramount importance is that you make an effort to apply what you learn.
- Knowledge is useless if we do not put it to use.
6. Learn a new language.
- You could be practical and learn Spanish or attempt something a bit more exotic like Japanese or Persian.
- People who speak more than one language are fascinating.
- There are many free language exchanges available online.
- You can also help someone else learn English while they teaching you another language, like French.
7. Tap into your artistic talents.
- Set aside time for writing, photography, music, painting, or other artistic pursuit.
- Even if you believe you have zero artistic ability, as most of us do, :), it is still worth the time.
- What form of art piques your interests the most?
8. Create a new set of habits that supports the life you desire.
- It may be eating a healthy breakfast or going for a walk during your lunch break, or after work.
- Maybe you want to read or meditate for 15 minutes each day.
- Focus on one habit and make it permanent.
9. Take a class.
- Learn something new from an expert and surround yourself with like-minded people.
- You will broaden your horizons and increase the size of your social circle.
10. Take a trip to someplace new.
- Why are you waiting to take that trip of a lifetime?
- Time is ticking away.
- Get online and book a trip today.
- Don’t have extra funds? Go someplace local you have never visited.
Self-development can be fun!
Increasing your capabilities does not have to feel like studying for your statistics test.
Self-development is truly about having experiences and gaining knowledge.
Give yourself the attention you deserve!
The more life skills and talents you develop, the more you will be able to appreciate and enjoy more of what life has to offer you.