Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving.
When we can be alone,
we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.
Often, between all of our duties at work, at home, and all of our social responsibilities, we may begin to feel that most of our time is spent taking care of others. Neglecting our own self-care is a very easy thing to do in an overly busy world. But, the consequences to our emotional, physical and spiritual health can be serious. Adding self-care practices to your daily routine can greatly strengthen your health and well-being.
Simple Strategies to Self-care strategies:
1. Make “Me time”
- Make an appointment with yourself and block out time for self-care in your daily schedule. It is not enough to occasionally stop your busy lifestyle and go for a walk or indulge in a warm soak.
- Self-care is an ongoing process.
- Just as we set aside time in our schedule for other appointments, we should likewise set aside time to take care of ourselves as well.
- It is important to adopt self-care habits that you can enjoy on a regular basis.
- This will help you avoid burnout, increase your productivity, and allow you to enjoy the other parts of your life.
2. Get a Hobby.
- Maybe you enjoy trying our some new recipes in the kitchen, or painting of sunsets, your favorite hobbies can be part of self-care.
- Hobbies and activities that you already enjoy are easy to select and put into practice.
- You just have to find time in your schedule to pursue them.
- This is an important step and shows your commitment to self-care.
3. Listen to and Accept the Compliments you receive.
- You can enjoy this self-care practice even as you work or run seemingly mundane errands!
- Start taking note of the compliments you receive.
- You can keep them in a journal, diary, or online folder.
- Your compliment folder can also include emails, notes, thank you cards, and other things that bring a little smile to your face.
- This self-care practice can help you fight negative thoughts.
- Compliments can serve as reminders that we matter, that our existence is important, and that someone appreciates us.
- Whether you decide to declutter one of your closet or to clean out the refrigerator, removing clutter will lift your spirits.
- Clutter can drain us physically and mentally.
- Clutter can also bog us down as we move through our days.
- Eliminate the things that no longer serve you well.
- For example, if you are keeping clothes in your closet that you absolutely hate seeing every time you open the door, replace them with clothes that you love.
5. Be a bit Selfish.
- Living selfishly all day serves no one. But, doing one selfish act that makes you happy can work wonders.
- You can enjoy just that one thing without feeling guilty about it!
- If you struggle with self-care, it is often because you spend a lot of your energy and time taking care of others.
- There’s nothing left in your well for yourself.
- By taking the time to do one selfish act, such as reading your favorite book or ignoring a boring phone call, you will be restoring your own importance.
All too often, self-care often takes a backseat to work, family, and all of our other obligations.
Without stopping to take care of our bodies and minds, and nurturing our spirits, we run the risk of burning out and suffering from serious health issues.
Start making time for your self-care practices today!