Some of the beliefs we hold dearly have the power to stop us in your tracks. If we honestly believe that we would never be able to run a marathon, it is unlikely that we will ever try. Some toxic beliefs can permeate multiple areas of our lives. A few of these beliefs can be more damaging than specific beliefs. For instance: Believing you can never learn to play the guitar does not carry the same negative impact as believing that we are too old to pursue our dreams.
Dump the toxic beliefs that limit your life:
1. It is too late, or I have grown too old.
- First, let us be honest. Sometimes it really is too late. You are probably not going to start playing for the NBA if you are over 40. But, the number of things that you are still able to do is far greater than the number of things you cannot.
- Colonel Sanders didn’t settle on a chicken recipe until he was 49 years old.
- There have been a few medical students that didn’t get started until their 60’s.
- Stop jumping to conclusions regarding what is till within reach at your current age. You can still do a lot more than you think. Stop settling.
2. Failure is worse than death.
- Failure is a normal part of life.
- If you are still breathing, you will fail at something occasionally.
- The trick is to fail and make good use of it, as an opportunity to learn.
- Failure is simply an undesired result.
- Take the opportunity to learn from the failures and adjust your approach to the issue.
- If one way does not work well, then try another.
- If you continue to improve on your method, over the long haul you will succeed. And be smarter.
3. The past is my destiny.
- Human beings have an amazing ability to change and adapt.
- Just because you have been a procrastinator, made poor choices, been under-educated, had poor social skills, or self-destructed in the past does not guarantee that the future will be the same.
- The past only affects your if you permit it.
- You can choose to drop the past and live in the present.
4. People will criticize me, make fun of me, or think poorly of me.
- Absolutely!. They will.
- This is not an inaccurate belief, but it can be very harmful to be overly-concerned about the opinions of other people.
- Think about it this way- No matter what you do, there are people that will refuse to be impressed. And there will always be someone ready to make a negative comment.
- Why do you care?
- We are no longer in grade school, so let go of the peer pressure.
5. I am not _______ enough.
- Smart, good with money, good with people, well-educated, special, or whatever your favorite “fill in the blank” negative statement is.
- No person is good at everything.
- We can learn to be better at whatever skills we are lacking.
- Take a class.
- Find a mentor.
- Successful people are often surprisingly ordinary.
- You do not have to do anything spectacular to have spectacular results.
- You can find or create whatever you are currently lacking.
A toxic belief could be part of what is holding you back from the life you feel you deserve.
These negative beliefs are difficult to recognize because we have been carrying them around for so long that they are part of our normal thinking.
Take an opportunity to do a personal inventory and evaluate your beliefs, especially those that may be inhibiting you.
How do you know they’re true?
What price are you willing to continue to pay to hold on to these beliefs?
Dump them and make room for more of what you want out of life!