Many of our ingrained habits and go-to reactions can make happiness an elusive pursuit for us. You would probably be amazed to find out how much joy you can feel when you are able to eliminate certain habits from your everyday life. Changing habits is no simple or easy undertaking, but you can do it if you are committed to changing for the better.
Be willing to challenge the status quo if you want to see a real change in your mood.
Here are a few habits worth dumping…
1. Being overly concerned with the opinions of others.
- You may feel that you are perfect in every respect, but, someone will still criticize you.
- It is impossible to please or impress everyone we meet.
- Try this instead: Focus on making yourself happy and surround yourself with those who are happy to support you.
2. Negative self-talk.
- Why do we insist on making life more of a challenge than it already is?
- Stop your negative self-talk before it takes full shape and replace it with something positive.
3. Wanting more than we have.
- If we were making our home under a park bench, it would be natural to want a home instead But, the odds are pretty good that if your are reading this post, you are not.
- As long as we have what we need, wanting more becomes be a constant source of stress and frustration.
- Strive for more if you like, but be reasonable. Know when you have reached enough.
4. Stop comparing yourself to others.
- Each person has their own unique strengths, weaknesses, past, and challenges.
- If you want to make a reasonable comparison, compare your current situation to your situation 1 year ago or 5 years ago.
- If you are fortunate enough to have made any progress, celebrate.
- If you have made zero progress, then it it time to sit down and figure out why. Then, do something about it..
5. Beating yourself up for mistakes.
- Mistakes are a natural daily part of everyday life.
- Learn from each of them and then move on toward a brighter future.
6. Casting blame and pointing fingers.
- Suffering under the belief that someone else is the cause of every difficulty we are experiencing is harmful, because we give away what little control we have.
- If we learn to accept that our situation are our own doing, then we also accept that we have the power to fix things.
- No matter who we choose to blame, it is still our responsibility to handle it.
7. Saying “yes” to every thing.
- Everyone needs a little down time to regroup and regenerate. By saying “yes” to everything, you rob yourself of this important time.
- You will find yourself spending time on activities in which you simply have no interest, or worse, do not enjoy.
- Learn to say “no” when necessary.
- Whether you think you are waiting for the perfect time to have children or start your own business, that absolutely perfect time will never arrive.
- Get started right away on the activities that mean the most to you.
9. Avoiding new life experiences.
- Do your really enjoy having each day run exactly the same way? What is the point of life if you plan to live the same day over and over?
- We have a fixed, but unknown number of years on Earth.
- Get the most out of your life and try some new things.
10. Changing too many things at once.
- We human beings are remarkably adaptable over the long term.
- But, it is very challenging to make multiple major changes in the short term.
- Make smaller changes in life and build upon these.
- We cannot change much in a week, but you can make major changes over a year or more.
Are your habits constantly bringing you down?
Our habits create our lives!
Evaluate your habits and determine which of them may be negatively affecting your ability to enjoy life more fully.
Happiness is often closer than we think.