Just as money is the root, and not the cause of “all” evils, procrastination is the root of most of our unachieved dreams and success. It is the most important factor that stands between us and the prize we have set our eyes on. But somehow it seems difficult to eradicate.
For some reason, we are often held in the grip of delaying the tasks at hand, like a magnet. The sense that there will be enough time to get things done can often be misleading to us. It can make the difference between celebrated success and shattered dreams.
How to Conquer Your Procrastination Beast
1. Prioritize the opportunities presented to you.
- If something is not important to you, you will probably spend very little time trying to achieve it. This reality is the basis of your personal priority list. The achievements that really matter most belong at the top of that list. Everything else can fall into “whenever”. And that may even mean falling off the list completely!
- Focus on the things that give you the most inner joy and happiness. Skip what popular opinion thinks. If something gives you butterflies every time you think about it, that is something you want to work toward.
- Once your list is in place, begin at the very top. The most important thing deserves the most attention. You are guaranteeing yourself ultimate satisfaction once you achieve it!
2. Break down tasks into achievable, actionable steps.
- It is very easy to put things off because they seem overwhelming. Our natural instinct may be to shy away from things that are too complex. We can alter this mindset by breaking down our tasks. This makes the prize, or goal, seem more attainable.
- Set very small tasks. You may even want to turn them into daily tasks. Give yourself some time each day to work towards something.
- Once you have checked something off your list, you will be one step closer to the prize. The feeling of progress is incomparable!
3. Renew your commitment every single day.
- In order to stay on track, it is important to maintain commitment to the goal. That can be more easily achieved by renewing our commitment every day.
- When you wake up, remind yourself of your purpose.
- Take a look at what you are motivated to achieve.
- The feeling of excitement about achieving a desired goal is constantly alive. You only need reengage it regularly.
- This exercise also helps you to maintain focus on what is important to you.
- Also, you may even find that the spark of a particular goal fades. This can happen when we come to realize something we thought was important really is not.
- Daily renewal helps us zone in on what means the most to us.
4. Reward yourself for each achievement.
- It is important to keep yourself engaged and focused on your goal. A great way to do this is to reward yourself. As you achieve each small task, celebrate the progress you have made.
- Make a significant effort to celebrate your achievement. A half-hearted effort is not really enough. To maintain commitment, you have to reward yourself appropriately every step of the way.
- Treat yourself to something you have always wanted. Perhaps, in the past, you avoided spending on it because it “wasn’t worth it.” But now you have every reason to go get it, because you are worth it and you have done the work to earn it!
- Being kind to yourself is the best way to motivate continued focus on your goals. When you know there is some kind of reward at the end, you will likely commit every ounce of effort necessary.
You have more than enough reasons to go after goals that are meaningful to you. If you are being honest with yourself, you could easily list them all on a piece of paper.
Focus on doing something to move toward you goal(s) today.
Leave tomorrow for the celebration of today’s success!