“On Friday night, I was reading my new book,
but my brain got tired,
so I decided to watch some television instead.
It seems like almost everyone watches at least a few hours of television every day and even more on the weekends. Think of everything you actually could accomplish if you devoted some of those hours to your dreams instead of to staring at the tube!
Part of the challenge, though, is that turning on the television is so darned easy. With a minimal amount of effort, your mind can be occupied for hours and the time just flies by. But when you surrender those hours to the TV, you surrender precious time to take care of yourself and work toward your dreams.
Give up television and you can change your life.
Did you know that many very successful people do not even own a television? And many of those who do, rarely or never watch it. If you can give up watching television for a month, here are a few of the benefits you will begin to notice:
1. You will get a lot more done. You will be amazed at how much free time you have to get things accomplished! Imagine adding a couple of extra hours every day. You have a lot more free time than you probably think. Use that time wisely and you might even run out of chores to do.
2. Your life will be more meaningful. If you spend your former television time doing things with other people instead of with the imaginary characters on the television, your life is bound to be more satisfying and meaningful. Go out with your friends. Do something with your family. Be social. Having a meaningful life is a big step toward being happy.
3. You will lose weight. Watching TV has never done anything positive for anybody’s waistline. Consider how much you tend to eat while just sitting there. If you are actually doing something physical, you are going to be in better shape. When you are engaged with your activities instead of tuned out with the television, eating at the same time is a lot less convenient.
4. You will grow. When experiencing things firsthand, you grow most significantly. Watching a movie about modern man traveling back in time to battle dinosaurs might be entertaining, but that should not be enough for you. Life is short! Do you really want to spend it watching television?
5. You can clarify and conquer your challenges. Watching television is a great way to distract your mind from your challenges. Without television, you will have to confront them head-on because there are fewer places to hide now. But this is a good thing!
- When forced to deal with your challenges, your busy mind finds ways to minimize and then overcome them. Just be sure to actually engage with them instead of turning to another or different distraction.
- Pick one thing to work on each day.
- Most challenges seem to disappear faster than you might guess.
6. You can be healthy, wealthy, and wise. Imagine if each day (or even each week!) you spent an hour exercising, an hour working on becoming wealthy, and an hour reading something worthwhile.
- What would your body, bank account, and life look like one year from now?
- What would they look like after a year of watching television three hours a day?
- As you can see, a few hours a day can really make a difference quickly!
Yes, TV can be useful and educational at times. But far too many people use it as a means of escape and convenience.
Your life will improve dramatically if you choose to take some of that time and spend it on things that will either improve your life or give it more meaning.
See if you can make it for 30 days without TV and then decide for yourself.
You can last 30 days, right?
If that sounds too onerous, try cutting back to a certain amount of time each day. Say, an hour or less.
To fill your TV time, choose activities that sound fun to you.
Before you know it, you will have more of what you want and less of what you don’t want.