Everyone gets stuck in a rut from time to time. You know that you are in a rut when every day seems the same, and those days just are not all that enjoyable. After a while, it seems almost impossible to figure out the best way to bring about the changes that can make your life once again seem exciting, interesting, and enjoyable. Ruts tend to be self-perpetuating and require a fair amount of effort energy to get back out.
9 Strategies for Getting Unstuck:
1. Realize that your discomfort is actually a good sign. As humans, we tend to feel uncomfortable when we are experiencing change in our lives. Accept the fact you may have some challenging feelings to navigate as you come out of your rut and get your life back on the proper track.
2. Find a new, or old, passion or interest to add to your life. Now is the perfect time to take up yoga or learn to play the piano or guitar. If you have always wanted to learn how to paint or try out mountaineering, go for it!
- Your concerns and worries vanish when you become involved with something that fascinates you.
- Make a list of the things you have never tried, but have always wanted to.
- Find one or two things that interest you the most and give them a go.
3. Schedule your new activity. Make your new hobby a priority by scheduling it into your life. It should get the high-priority status it deserves.
4. Look for a new job. Work takes up a lot of our waking hours. And so, life can be much more enjoyable when you like the field you are working in. If you feel like you have fallen into a rut, maybe a career change is in order. There is no reason to spend the majority of your adult life in a career that no longer interests or excites you, if it ever did.
5. Get physical. Sometimes we spend so much of the day sitting and staring at our computer screens that we forget about our bodies.
- A body cannot stay healthy if it does not get the chance to stretch, move around, and exert itself a bit each day.
- If you are not active, consider adding some exercise into your day.
6. Check in with your physician. If multiple aspects of your life seem to be in a rut, it may be time to see a doctor. It is possible than an underlying health issue might be the culprit of your rut.
7. Start small. It can be overwhelming to change every single aspect of your life all at once. Avoid trying to change too much too quickly.
- Make a list of everything you would like to change about your life.
- Start with either the easiest or most meaningful change.
- Plan the best course of action for you at this time. You can always add in additional changes over time.
8. Set a goal. If you are feeling lost, sometimes a goal is the best tool to help you refocus. Having a clear target can help you stay on track.
- A goal provides a clear, measurable, and time-based objective.
- The key is to pick a goal that will enhance your life.
9. Go someplace new. Have you ever noticed you have a different perspective when you are in an airplane and looking down? Life just feels a bit different.
- Experience a new location. The different surroundings and people are bound to alter your outlook on life.
- You may only need to hop in your car and head for the city, the mountains, or the beach.
Jump-start your life and get out of that rut. Remember that you, and you alone, must adjust your behavior if you want your life to change. Give these tips a fair chance and you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.