Whether you want to set goals for your business or for your personal life, defining clear, concise goals is very important. Without clear goals you can end up confused about what you want to achieve, and you may well be putting yourself on the path to stagnation. Clear goals can give you tremendous momentum and intense purpose in your life.
Here are five important strategies to help you to define clear goals in your life:
1. Understand exactly hat you want to achieve. In order to define clear goals, your first step is to determine exactly what you wish to achieve. If you do not know where you are going, you will not be able to figure out a route to get there. Once you know where you want to be and what you want to achieve, you will be able to come up with the goals that will help you get there.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Take the time to sit down and brainstorm your long-term dreams and desires.
2. Determine a timeline. Setting timelines will prevent procrastination and spur you on to action to meet your goals. Having a timeline for your goals also helps to clarify them because now you know what you want and when you want it!
- Come up with goals that you want to meet in a week, a month, a year, and even five or ten years from now.
- Make a plan that will keep you on track; but remember, do not etch your plan in stone! Allow for changes along the way, but keep your eye on the main goal.
3. Ensure your goals are realistic. With realistic goals, you can almost guarantee that you will be able to achieve them, and you will not stress yourself out trying to accomplish something that is totally out of reach. A clear goal is a realistic one.
- Break your long-term goals into small, achievable action steps.
- Reaching multiple goals along your journey will give you a feeling of accomplishment and give you momentum and motivate to continue.
4. Be very specific. Clarify your goals with the details of exactly what you want. Avoid vague generalities. When you make a specific goal, you will be better able to accomplish it.
- Specific goals allow you to form your timeline and define your action steps. There is then little, if any guesswork involved because you are dealing with specifics.
- For instance, “make more money with your business” is a vague goal. Come up with a specific goal, such as, “I will make $1,000 more per month, three months from today.” This goal is specific, measurable, and realistic.
5. Refine your goals. Your goals may change as your life continues to change. During this process, you will be able to make them more specific, realistic, and achievable.
- It is perfectly okay to refine your goals several times in your life!
- What may seem terribly important right now, may not be important to you six months or six years from now.
- Be willing to accept change.
- Revisit your goals from time to time and make new plans if necessary.
Many people flounder through life, unsure of their purpose or what they want to achieve. Do not let this happen to you! Your life will have clear meaning if you put some thought into what is important to you, what goals you want to achieve, and what specific actions to take to make your dreams a reality.
Start you list tonight!!