Believe in yourself!
Have faith in your abilities!
Without a humble but reasonable confidence
in your own powers
you cannot be successful or happy.
Being able to figure out exactly what motivates you will be a real benefit throughout your life. Once you know what brings you inspiration, you can draw from that list to keep yourself going whenever you need a boost.
Here is a process to help you discover your own motivations:
1. Think about the most difficult situation that you have ever experienced.
Then record the answers to these questions:
- What did I think about the event?
- How did I feel about it?
- How did I arrive at how I was going to handle and resolve the situation?
- What was important to me at the time – was it how I felt, what I thought my parents would think, what I believed was “the right thing to do” or something else?
- Ultimately, what did I do to resolve the event?
2. Next, reflect on 2 or 3 of your biggest achievements.
Perhaps for you, graduating from college or moving out on your own was a huge achievement. Continue writing down your answers to these additional questions. This process will help you to identify your own motivations.
- What did I do to achieve my success?
- How did I meet my goals?
- What did I think about during the process?
- What motivated me? Looking out for my future, wanting to make more money, hoping to make my parents proud, or something else?
- Did I visualize what my life would be like once I had achieved my goal?
- How much did I really want to achieve it?
3. Analyze your answers.
After reflecting on the above questions, your mind will be more open to identifying what is truly important to you. So far, what have you discovered about what motivates you? Are you surprised by what you have found?
4. How do you feel about these concepts?
What motivates one person may not work well for another. Still, it is highly likely that you will feel inspired by the same one or two issues consistently throughout your life.
Examples of ideas from your list that may ring true to your feelings:
- You strive to feel like you are doing “the right thing.”
- You want to increase your ability to earn more money.
- Pursuing your passion propels you forward to accomplish more.
- You hope to see the pride in your parent’s eyes.
- Perhaps you are seeking more recognition from other people – you hope to be noticed and admired.
- You want to make your or your children’s futures better.
- You feel the need to prove to yourself that you can achieve something.
- You like the idea of stepping up to a challenge in your life.
- Seeking variety in life motivates you to try new things.
- You strive to overcome a difficult childhood and emerge triumphant.
- Discovering and validating who you really are as an individual is important to you.
- You plan to dispute negative messages someone from your past instilled in you.
- You want to do something in life that “really matters.”
- Perhaps you enjoy the sheer entertainment value of doing something.
- Writing down your goals and making an action plan spurs you on to accomplishment.
- You like to see your list of achievements continue to grow.
Whether you want to improve your life situation, make more money, or follow your passion, discover what motivates you. Then, apply your motivators to situations that really matter. This will prepare you to achieve whatever you seek in life.
To your continued success!!