When I stand before thee at the day’s end,
thou shalt see my scars and know that I had my wounds
and also my healing.
An integral aspect of the human experience is striving to develop and improve yourself. Although you may have heard of Reiki in passing, you may not really know what people are talking about. Today. I will present a general overview, but I encourage you to look for practitioners in your area to get more in-depth information.
What is it?
Reiki is an ancient art of healing first practiced in 1922 by Mikao Usui, a Japanese Buddhist. The practice eventually spread to the western world and morphed into what is known as “Western Reiki” techniques. Fact about Reiki:
1. Western Reiki includes 5-7 hand positions used by Reiki practitioners. These hand positions are used to affect the recipient’s “chakras” or “meridians,” locations of theoretical sacred energy reserves found throughout the body’s surface.
The practitioner poses his or her hands in the hand positions near where the body’s energies are regulated to promote wellness and healing.
2. The Reiki practitioner may place his hands lightly on the body at the chakra points. He might look at the chakra point or even gently massage the chakra location in hopes of transferring energy to the recipient. Light tapping near the meridians or the practitioner blowing out air from the mouth might also be part of a Reiki treatment.
3. Some Reiki practitioners do not touch the recipient at all. Instead, they place their hands a few centimeters above the body’s surface to re-position the chakras’ energy.
4. The Reiki practitioner believes he is providing “ki,” or energy through his palms. This is to balance the receiver’s body energies.
5. Although Reiki is an ancient practice, like many other Eastern healing arts, it is not supported by Western science. (Allopathic vs. Homeopathic medicine)
How does Reiki help self-development?
1. Undergoing Reiki allows you to relax. During Reiki you are lying down quietly, usually on a masseuse’s table. You will likely be very relaxed throughout the process, lessening stress.
2. Taking part in Reiki is a unique experience. There are few other experiences that are similar to having Reiki done. In one sense, it will expand your mind to take part in Reiki. It will be a new and different experience for you. Reiki may even pique your interest in other healing arts.
3. Suggestion is a powerful tool. When Reiki practitioners deliver their treatment methods, they will likely make certain suggestions about balancing your chakras and meridians. Because of your relaxed state, it is possible that you can take in some of the suggestions and do what is necessary for you to feel better. You might become more open to acting on helpful suggestions.
4. Taking part in Reiki can increase your feelings of well-being. It can be helpful because you will be giving attention to your troubling issues. In this case, undergoing Reiki may be a means to an end.
Reiki is a fascinating healing art that could pique your interest and heighten your self-improvement. There are times in life when it is refreshing to try something new, a little different, and perhaps, even a bit unusual. You will relax, have a unique experience, and have an increased sense of well-being.
Open your mind to this, and other, unique healing art forms that just might be your cup of tea to help strengthen you health and increased your self-development.