Everyone wants to be successful. Success means different things to different people. I have also found that as I continue to mature that being a success means something at each phase of my life. Whatever you may have already accomplished in your life, there is always one more interesting mountain ahead that is worth climbing. If you’re looking for more achievement, you can improve your life dramatically by making a few simple changes.
What I am about to suggest to you really is pretty straight forward, but most of these items require constant attention until they become habits.
1. Upgrade Your Crew. Start hanging out with more successful individuals. And, no, I am not suggesting that you dump your friends. But, you will frequently find that you achieve about as much as the people with whom you spend most of your time. Perhaps you are that role model of success in your current crew. If you want to be successful, affiliate as often as possible with people who are more successful than you. There are a few reasons why this will help:
- You will get exposed to a completely different way of thinking and interacting with the world. Successful people generally look at many things differently than those who tend to be less successful. Integrating some of these new ideas into your own way of thinking will probably bring you more of the success you seek in your own life.
- You will probably be exposed to new opportunities. High achieving people often have multiple ventures going on, and you never know when you might be of assistance to them. You will also get to connect with some of their peer group, who are also more likely to be successful as well.
2. Upgrade your attitude. Successful people generally have a positive attitude. That is what allows them to continue to move forward aggressively. This is not the same as acting foolishly, however.
- Minor challenges don’t bog them down as often because they believe that things will turn out well in the end. They also keep the broader, grander picture in mind, so minor challenges are just that, minor.
- If wealth is one of your aspirations, check your own monetary mindset. If you want to be wealthy you should probably have a positive attitude about wealth and about wealthy people.
- If you want to be healthy, you need to have a positive outlook about health.
- Your attitudes must be congruent or aligned with your objectives.
- Everything starts internally. Seeing outside changes in your life will take time.
3. Upgrade your focus. Get organized and get focused. Before you go to bed at night, make a list with all the things you want to accomplish the following day. Doing this at night gives your brain a chance to work on things while you are asleep. Also you will feel much better when you can start the day with a clear objective instead of spending time trying to figure out what you need to do.
4. Upgrade your goals. Your brain is extremely good at figuring out things, even when you’re not consciously thinking about them. You can help facilitate it by doing a good job of outlining and prioritizing your objectives. The simplest way to do this is to write your goals down with a deadline attached to each. Now your mind (conscious and sub-conscious) knows what to work on and when to have it accomplished.
- Read over your goals at least twice a day to provide mental clarity and to emphasize that they are important. We all know how easy it is to get sidetracked by fifty other things and forget all about our real goals and plans.
These four simple ideas can bring you tremendous personal power if you use them to your advantage. Being successful is really no more challenging than being unsuccessful. Both require specific actions and attitudes applied consistently over time. Make some changes today, upgrade your present and give yourself the gift of success.