In the course of an average day, you likely have many opportunities to openly express yourself. Stating your preferences clearly and openly in simple, honest terms can help you build the life you seek, and work toward the person you wish to become; and there are advantages.
What are the benefits of expressing your authentic self?
1. Contentment. You can cultivate contentment with life. The more you ask for what you really want, the more likely you are to get it. When you regularly obtain what you want, you’ll find more satisfaction in your life. And, if you never ask, who will know?
2. Emotional freedom. You will experience a sense of emotional freedom, or release, by asking for what you really want out of life. In being authentic, you can feel free to share your emotions with others in appropriate ways, without hurting their feelings.
3. Relational stability. You can enjoy more stable relationships. One of the wonderful side effects of demonstrating authenticity is that you’ll experience more stable relationships with less conflict.
For many of you, this may sound like too aggressive an approach to life, and you may be thinking that sometimes responding passively is best. After all, you’re an easy-going person and you don’t expect to be satisfied all the time. But when you act passively and in-authentically, you run the risk of holding your feelings in and becoming all the more dissatisfied with what’s coming your way.
Keeping emotions locked up inside can take a toll on relationships. Trying to dismiss your emotions instead of openly discussing them can result in speaking inappropriately later when your frustrations boil over, and are finally released. This type of response can be damaging to any relationship. You have a right to be open and honest about how you feel in your interactions with others. And if you really express yourself assertively, chances are good the other person will not be hurt or offended. Most likely, they’ll listen and respond to your needs, which can only improve your emotional connection.
4. Increased credibility. Others will see you as honest. When you communicate clearly, authentically and assertively, people know you aren’t going to pull any punches. They believe you’re going to honestly say how you feel and they don’t have to worry about what’s going on with you. People soon learn that they don’t have to be concerned about hidden agenda issues with you. They feel that they can trust what you say and do.
5. Self-confidence. You manifest greater self-confidence. Interestingly, the more you express your own wants and needs, the more your confidence will grow. Those who assert themselves regularly in the course of their daily lives tend to believe they’ll be successful in whatever they do.
6. Increased valuation. Your sense of self-worth is improved. You put more value in your actions. Can you imagine doing anything more self-affirming than simply and honestly being yourself? After all, nothing else says, “I know that I’m a worthwhile person” more than speaking up about what’s on your mind.
7. You set the tone and the standard. As you freely and appropriately express yourself, those around you see the enriched life you lead, the self-confidence you exude and are encouraged to go after those same rewards. They’ll want to imitate the new assurance you demonstrate with your assertiveness skills.
The more you speak up for your desires, the better your life will become. Practice authenticity and assertiveness daily. When you do, you will be an inspiration! You will inspire those around you and ignite your own passion for life.